Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Why I'll be buying a Nikon D7000




In previous posts I've talked about why I've been happy with the Nikon D90 and how you can be effective even with a cell phone camera. All of that said, if there is a new tool that improves a problem or improves a feature you use often, then go for it!

In this case I'm talking about the Nikon D7000 DSLR. The D7000 is out now and includes a brand new 16.2 megapixel sensor, 1080p video, 6fps shooting, ISO range from 100-6400 and a new 39 point autofocus system. The D7000 is looking to shape up to be a nice improvement over the D90. It seems that the D7000 will fit in just slightly higher end than the D90 but lower than the D300S. See Nikon's website for complete specs. http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25468/D7000.html

The main points that make me interested in this camera are first, the increased ISO range. Nikon has a good reputation of good ISO performance in the natural range of the camera. In this case 100-6400. Sample tests show a nice improvement over D90/D300/D300S.

The second is the new autofocus system. I have not read many reports on how the actual performance is yet, although I will report back as soon as I have the camera. My hope is that it will be more comparable to 51 point system found in D3S/700/D300S rather than the sometimes slow 11 point system in the D90.

The single thing that kept me waiting after the release of the D300S is 1080p video. This looks to be the best video that has come from Nikon. The D7000 also has an external mic jack. This means high quality audio already attached to the video. With my new interest in shooting video along with stills, this will be a monster improvement.

Other improvements that have my attention are the duel SD card slots, 100% viewfinder coverage, and weather sealed body.

The one thing that I wish this camera had is faster frames per second. Nikon has the D7000 listed a 6 frames per second. This speed is not improved when a battery grip is added. I could wait for the D400, but when a camera with so many improvements is out now, why wait? I'd rather be out shooting and experiences 1080p video now, rather than let it pass by.

Of course I don't know how it actually performs since I haven't shot with it yet. But Nikon has been good to me in the past, so I will hope for the best. I will post my actual experience once I have it in my hands.

In the mean time check out Chase Jarvis' Blog where he put together a great video and capture some amazing images with the D7000. Chase Jarvis Blog


Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0 Inch LCD (Body Only)

No comments:

Post a Comment