Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Song Bird Photography - Sucess!


Nikon D90, Nikkor 500mm f/4 AFS + TC 14 @ 700mm, ISO 500, f/11, 1/640

One of the biggest challenges for me when I started wildlife photography was actually finding wildlife to photograph. Nothing is more frustrating than wanting to go shoot something but not sure where to go. Derek and I started by going to the zoo where there are many subject at the ready. But after a while we wanted wild subjects.

Another great place to looks is bird feeders. Unfortunately Derek and I didn't have access to our own backyard feeders. So this forced us to use bird feeders at public places such as parks, wildlife areas and the zoo. The problem was none of those feeders offered the flexibility of modifying the area for optimal shooting conditions.


Nikon D90, Nikkor 500mm f/4 AFS + TC 14 @ 700mm, ISO 500, f/11, 1/640

In order to solve the problem of having a location with reliable subjects, I recently spoke to a property manager of a local park and wildlife management area. I got permission to place feeding stations at locations of my choice. I found spot at the edge of a wooded area, near a pond with both morning and evening light.


Nikon D90, Nikkor 500mm f/4 AFS + TC 14 @ 700mm, ISO 500, f/11, 1/640

It has been a couple of weeks now and the feeders are being frequented by many birds. I stop regularly to check the feeders and refill them. Earlier this week was the first time I spent time photographing there. All of the photographs shown above were from that shoot. It sounds like such a simple thing but this is a point of pride for me, because now I have my own reliable area for song birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment