Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Behind the Image: Willet

Willet
Nikon D7000, Nikkor 300mm f2.8 w/tc14 @420mm, ISO 800, f5.6, 1/2000, +2/3ev, SB 800 for fill

Yesterday morning I got up early and headed towards Gulf Islands National Seashore at Fort Pickens on the Pensacola Beach island. I was hoping for osprey photos, but the chance never came to fruition. I quickly changed plans and ditched my shoes and headed towards the beach. I found a Willet that was combing the beach. I sat on the waters edge and slowly laid on my belly in the sand.

With poor lighting, I cranked up the ISO from my usual setting of 400 to 800. I attached my SB 800 to my camera to help get the colors/detail in the feathers I was looking for. Once I had my settings dialed in I started blasting away at my new friend Mr. Willet. As soon as it came the sun was gone behind the clouds. I ended my day shortly after the willett flew away and after a few shots of a Great Blue Heron.

After a great morning of shooting I headed home for the day!


2 comments:

  1. Great shot! If you are still in the Pensacola area check out Johnson Beach. I got some great osprey shots there a month ago. There are some nests easily viewed. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I left after I got this message. Maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete