Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Photo Sharing

Trumpeter Swan
Nikon D90, Sigma 150-500mm OS

Over the past couple of weeks I have been using 500px.com as my photo sharing site of choice. I have been using Flickr less and less over the last couple of years, so I wanted to find something to replace it.

Other than Flickr, I would post photos to forums to share and gather comments such as CameraTalk.org (Minnesota based), Naturescapes.net and Birdphotographers.net. I do routinely visit these forums, but they are mostly wildlife/nature forums. Flickr I would post not only my wildlife/nature photos but I would post any other type of photography that I was doing at the time as well.

After a large number of copyright infractions from Flickr I decided to go away from using their service. A few weeks back, Richard Peters (@RichardpPhoto) sent a tweet out about 500px.com. I decided to check it out to see what it has to offer.

After spending a few minutes on the site I liked the layout and the possibilities of the amount of view I could receive. Other key features of the site is there is a "like and dislike" button next to each photo along with an area for you to leave a comment. Another feature is you can "favorite" any photo that you want. In some sort of mathematical way between views, votes and how many people added your photo as a favorite your photo gets a score. As it is now, my top photo has a score of 88.7. At the peak of my top rating, my photo was on the top few pages of "popular" photos. The closer your photo is to page #1 of popular the better chance it has of getting scene.

One of the best qualities of the site is, the quality of work. Unlike Flickr where anyone and every just dumps their hard drive for the world to see. 500px has some of the Internets best photos. As of now, I can really only speak to nature/wildlife photos on the site.

If your looking for another outlet to share your photos check out 500px.com and follow them on Twitter @500px.com

No comments:

Post a Comment