Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Photo of the Week! A Loon with Open Wings!

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 500mm f/4 AFS @ ISO 500, f/7.1, 1/2500
A symbol of Minnesota and one of the prettiest birds you'll see, graced me with this beautiful photo opportunity this weekend. This photograph was taken in north western Minnesota on a calm summer evening.

The hardest part of photographing loons has been find them when the environment was just right and the environment was just right last weekend. I'm talking about a nice low sun angle, calm water, a clean background not to mention a cooperative loon.

With all of the elements in place I slowly approached this loon from my fishing boat. I used my trolling motor which I operated by remote control. Once the boat was in position with the sun to my bad I fired away with my camera lens resting on the calm edge of the boat.

Now if that was the end I would have been excited with an amazing experience and photographs but that wasn't it. The loon suddenly leaned back and stretched his wings and I let loose another burst of shots. I knew immediately that the focus and exposure were dead on and I was ecstatic!

No comments:

Post a Comment