Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Gearing up for Yellowstone National Park

Geyser, Yellowstone National Park
Nikon D90, Tokina 12-24mm

I've got my flight booked, hotel lined up and my car rental all set to go! So what's left? The park of course. I was in Yellowstone just over a year ago and have a pretty good idea of where I want to go and what I want to see. 

There are a few things left for me to do however, one is to review where I was and at what time of day from last years trip. I saved my park maps that I marked up for this very reason. Another key part of my trip planing was talking to other photographers that have been in the area recently. Use social network sites as your search engine. I follow several people that frequent the park or have people post their YNP wildlife sightings on their site. I follow/ visit these Tweeps sites @ynpwildlife @FragilePlaces @RichardpPhoto 

My next debate that I'm having is if I want to make the trip to Grand Teton National Park or not. I'm not sure that I'm going to have enough time to do both parks. I am really itching to get back to GTNP, but this is going to be a game day decision. One of my biggest reasons for not going to GTNP is that I don't want to stretch my self too thin in YNP. I want to see as much of Yellowstone as possible and get to areas that were closed off last year due to wildfires. 

Lastly, gear. What to take and what to leave home? If I were driving, I'd probably take it all. Between Chad and I we have a lot of gear. I was at Chad's house last night and he kept on handing more and more gear. Now I need to decide what lenses to take, and if I want to bring video gear as well. I have limited space in my bag, trust me it holds a lot. Once I get it all packed, if I have time I'll show all of you what I'm bringing.

Here is what I have so far:
Nikon D7000 (2)
Nikkor 300mm f2.8
Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR I
Sigma 24-70mm
Tokina 12-24mm
Nikkor TC14e II
Induro CT414 tripod and ballhead
Flip HD
Then various memory cards, cables, chargers, batteries, and other miscellaneous equipment. 






No comments:

Post a Comment