Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Yellowstone Day 1

Nikon D7000, Sigma 24-70 @70mm, ISO 640, f5, +2/3ev, 3 Shot HDR

As many of you may know, I'm in West Yellowstone right now on my fall trip in Yellowstone National Park.  I have been watching the weather on and off for the past couple of weeks. The forecast for the area was rain/snow Thursday and Friday October 6th & 7th. The second that I arrived here it started snowing. I quickly checked into my hotel and grabbed my camera gear and set off to the park. 

At first, there was a light drizzle with a few snow flakes flying.  As I drove further and further into the park (OK, I only went to the Madison Jct. 14 miles away) the snow really started to come down. I wanted to stay close to West Yellowstone due to the weather and the light was going to fade really quickly. The good news is that I saw roughly 40-50 elk with two large bull elk. I didn't take too many photos on day 1, but this is my favorite. 

This photo is a three shot HDR. Since the light was really poor, I wanted to try something new to me. An HDR with animals in the photo is something that I have been thinking about, but just didn't have the right opportunity.

Well, its hurry up and wait for the park to open again. I'll keep you all posted on how this trip goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment