Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Favorite Photo of 2011 by Chad Griggs

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 500mm f/4 AFS @ ISO 500, f/7.1, 1/2500
Oh it's that time of year again and this time the choice was fairly easy one. The Common Loon is Minnesota's official state bird and I always wanted to get a good photograph of one. Finding a Loon in Minnesota is not the issue. They can be found on most of Minnesota's 10,000+ lakes. The issue isn't even approaching them (for the most part). Loons in Minnesota are not nearly as skittish as many ducks such as the Ring-necked Duck. The tricky part is getting them in that perfect environment for the photo.

The light has to be at the correct angle to show details in their black feathers, but not too bright to over expose their white feathers. An ideal Loon photo for me also requires calm glassy water and of course a clean background. And if you add in some Loon behavior..? Oh my! This is the photo of the year, and I knew it right away!

More information about this photo

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I love this one. Amazing that posture on that mill pond flat water. What was it doing? Posing for the ladies? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was pretty amazing. I was excited just to get close with such great light and calm water... Then it decided to stretch its wings! I was pretty lucky

    ReplyDelete